Tuesday, June 26, 2012

To Scratch or Not to Scratch...

                                                 Colleen (on left) with a friend

                          To bake from scratch, or not to bake from scratch...that is the  question. When birthdays come around in our family, which happens twelve times a year, I always consider making the special cake from scratch. After baking for this blog, (and my family) for the past three months, you may think that I would never succumb to using a package cake mix. Nothing could be further from the truth!
 Just today, when I asked Colleen what kind of cake she wanted for her birthday...she said a chocolate cake from a mix. I don't take this personally at all, even though I consider myself a pretty good baker of cakes. To be honest, a little part of me (the baker) is disappointed,but another part of me (the mother) is relieved. So, Duncan Hines Devil's Food cake it is! I can't wait to open the package, add the eggs, vegetable oil and water,mix it all together and fill the house with the heavenly scents of chocolate! No one in my family will ask why it isn't a cake from The New York Times Dessert Cookbook. In fact, they will probably be relieved that they don't have to give a review on it! 

2 comments:

  1. Love it.. but your homemade cakes are the best Mom!!!! :) Can't wait for a homemade cake to celebrate our birthdays when I return! Love you and this blog! xoxo

    ReplyDelete