Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Cookies!

You won't be seeing any pictures of cookies in this post because I'm not baking any cookies today from the NY Times Dessert Cookbook. In fact, I have only baked two cookie recipes for this blog so far. Yet, I LOVE to bake cookies!! So, why the dearth of cookie baking? 


To be honest, most of the cookies that I bake are from tried and true family favorite recipes-snickerdoodles for instance, or the always delectable oatmeal raisin or chocolate chip. I have these recipes memorized, so there is no need for a cookbook, which makes for a more relaxed baking session. In addition, of all the baking I do, I view cookie baking as a stress relieving hobby, and nourishing to the spirit. Whenever I find myself getting out the butter to soften for cookie baking, it is driven not by a need for cookies or a dessert in the house, but by something deeper. 


As a teenager I combed through all of the cookbooks in our home for recipes to try. I tried to find those that wouldn't require a trip to the grocery store to make, and usually this translated into making cookies, as they seemed to call for the basic ingredients. 


Today I bake cookies every few weeks, and even with fewer of our family members living at home, no one has ever suggested that I stop making cookies. During my recent trip to Virginia, our grand-daughter and I baked cookies as we always do. Baking these small succulent morsels fits well with my apt moniker "Cookie".

No comments:

Post a Comment