Sunday, December 2, 2012

Baking Christmas Cookies!



                                    Baking Christmas Cookies!


  Yes, I am baking again! I actually got a jumpstart on my Christmas cookie baking this year, as I have a cookie exchange to go to this week. I also froze some of my holiday goodies, to discourage overeating. So far I have made sugar cutout cookies, peanut brittle and Santa's whiskers...or maybe they are called Rudolph's whiskers...not a very appealing title, but butterscotch chips melted with peanut butter and poured over chow mein noodles are always a favorite.

  It feels good to be baking again, and as I put on my apron and whisked out the flour, sugar, butter and eggs, I realized that this is how I relax. When I am in my kitchen, surrounded by recipes and ingredients, with a sink filling up with bowls and whisks and cookie sheets....that is when I am most me and most at home. Such a great feeling!! Even more appealing is the addition of rainy weather and cloudy days when I bake. That may sound dreary to some, but this is the weather that lures me into the kitchen in the first place! I am not a native Californian, rather I hail from Chicago, Illinois and Buffalo, New York. Having grown up in these two states, with loads of snow and "bad" weather, I am most creative in the kitchen, or knitting or sewing when the weather is less than perfect. So this is the weather that invites me to bake all day. Just don't tell my family members that most of it will be hidden in the freezer!

~Kathy~

1 comment:

  1. What an inspiring post Kathy! It's a rainy day here in Chicago, and I'm in the warm holiday spirit, thinking about baking something.... Maybe cookies or gingerbread men (and women!). Do you have any tasty holiday recipe ideas?

    Thanks!
    Lauren B

    ReplyDelete