Monday, May 21, 2012

Baking as Therapy...

Is baking therapeutic? I guess the answer would depend on how you define therapy. Words such as healing, restorative, or having positive effects come to my mind when I consider what therapy intends to do for a person. Therapy can also provides a diversion from something.


Right now I am writing this, rather than studying for an economics final exam. I am seeking diversion in the form of writing...which I enjoy much more than studying economics! Before I sat down to write this, I took two sticks of butter out of the refrigerator, to remind me to make some cookies later today. 
When I took the butter out, I asked myself why I felt the need/desire to bake cookies. It is almost felt as a visceral need. We don't need more desserts around here. It is the physical/emotional/sensory experience of making the dough, and baking the cookies that I am craving. I don't eat everything I bake...which is a good thing!


If baking is therapeutic, (and I believe it is), then it is a very inexpensive form of therapy. In addition, it has benefits for others, as well as myself.


Now that I've gotten this down on paper, I can go back to economics for awhile,
before the kitchen overtakes me!

1 comment:

  1. I love you Mom! Good luck with your test, I just said a prayer for you! Thanks for keeping the house full of scrumptious desserts! :)

    ReplyDelete