Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Baking and Camping


                                       Baking and Camping

These two activities, both of which I fully enjoy, just don't go together for me. 
First of all, I don't bake when I am camping, having never been the A plus scout who could make a box oven really work well. 

Second, there are too many nature-filled activities to spend time at the campsite mixing batter. The trails are beckoning, and there is only so much daylight, so doing something like baking cookies seems a waste of time in the outdoors. 

Third, I never take along cookbooks or recipes on a camping trip. If I can't make it from memorization, then it isn't a "camping recipe"! Hence the plethora of sloppy joes, spaghetti, walking tacos, and pizza in a bun dinners while camping. 

Fourth,I bake BEFORE the camping trip. For instance today I am baking chocolate chip cookies, poppy seed bread, and a new dinner (for which I need to follow the recipe), for our camping trip tomorrow. After today I won't want to bake for a week! 

Fifth, baking on a camping trip would require me to pack more ingredients, utensils, and pans...and we just don't have the space for them. 

Sixth, I believe that in order to renew and recharge, it is vital to take a break, even from something you really love to do.

~Kathy~

No comments:

Post a Comment