Saturday, October 6, 2012

Maple Banana Bread Pudding x 2!!


                             Maple Banana Bread Pudding x 2!!

   
    It was bound to happen that at some point I would make the same recipe twice. Of all the recipes I've made, it happened to be my least favorite as well.I am not a fan of bread pudding, even though my Dad loved it. It has humble beginnings,which I like. My ancestors most likely were attached to their bread puddings, as I have some English heritage in me. I have more German in me though, and Germans love their carbohydrates too, but in the form of potatoes.

    This particular bread pudding is simple, and my family said it tasted like French Toast bathed in maple syrup, with a hint of banana. It is almost gone...a good sign! I haven't had a drop of it. I just can't bring myself to eating it. This is a sure sign of my innate dislike for the stuff. I hope that I am not offending any bread pudding lovers out there, but for me bread pudding ranks right down there with fruitcake and plum pudding. Fruitcake probably has English roots as well, and I know that plum pudding is totally English, as my Dad and his family had it every Christmas, served with hard sauce. 

    So, to make up for the repeated bread pudding recipe, I will give those who really like it another recipe, straight from my heirloom family recipe collection:

                    Aunt Dees' Butterscotch Bread Pudding

  2 cups half and half

  1 small (3-4 oz. box) instant butterscotch pudding

  4 eggs

  2 cups milk

  1/2 loaf day-old French bread cut into 1-inch cubes

  nutmeg

 cinnamon

  Combine half and half and pudding mix. Beat with whisk and let rest for 2     minutes. Add eggs and mix well, then add milk. Pour mixture over day-old French bread cubes. Pour cubes into 13 x 9 inch pan. Top with dash of nutmeg and cinnamon. Let set for 1 hour overnight. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or till golden brown. Serve with raspberry sauce. Serves 8-12 people.

~Kathy~













2 comments:

  1. No Pictures? Mom, I love bread pudding, Used to eat it all the time in the breakroom at mimi's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was delicious, though I think Dad ate the last of it last night! Thanks for making this Mom! <3

    ReplyDelete